Skip to main content

“Is there something others have been trying to help you see about yourself that needs to change?”

A thought by Craig Groeschel, from his book, Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe, Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book)

Is there?

Craig says, “Maybe some people have suggested that you play video games way too much. They are concerned that you have more to offer, that you are missing out on more important things in life.

“Perhaps someone has suggested that you drink too much. Or have a problem with pain medication. Or overeating. If more than two trusted friends or family members have suggested this, maybe it’s time to pause and pay attention.

“Maybe you have had a bad run at dating. Your friends continue to remind you that you are always saying yes to the wrong kind of person. Rather than defending your actions, perhaps it’s time to consider changing your patterns.”

He goes on, “In recent years, I finally had to pause and recognize something that was out of whack in my life. Several people suggested that I was a slave to my mobile phone. My wife, Amy, was the loudest and most outspoken. My kids’ sighs and rolled eyes spoke volumes as well.

“Before I took their loving observation seriously, my defenses kicked in. The expert rationalizer emerged. What I’m doing is important. To be a good pastor I have to be available to people. I’m leading a church and my opinion is important. My social media presence can be a good witness. I really need to see how my last Instagram post is performing and check to see if there are any comments needing my attention.

“You would think that hearing from Amy and my kids would be enough. But when a few people from the office mentioned it, my old seminary professor’s advice started to echo in my brain. So I decided to pray, Show me, God. See if there is an offensive way in me. Is this a problem?

“I was at my son’s soccer game when God answered my prayer. I was responding to a text and missed my son’s amazing corner kick that his teammate headed into the goal to take a 1–0 lead against the top-ranked team. Then late in the second half with the game tied 1–1 and a few minutes left to go, I missed my son’s game-winning goal because I was checking on a social media post.

“God showed me clearly: I was settling for a counterfeit reality and missing out on what mattered most. I was missing out on my life, losing precious moments with the people I love most.

He then says, “What about you? Is there something others have been trying to help you see about yourself that needs to change? Proverbs 12:15 says, ‘The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.’ Maybe it’s time to pause and listen. God may speak to you through those who love you most.”

Maybe it is time for you to pause and listen.  Will you? 

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...