Skip to main content

“So we have intentionality, a decision to love, followed by intensity.”

A thought by Ed Young, from his book, The Fear Virus: Vaccinating Yourself Against Life's Greatest Phobias (p.79). Creality Publishing. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

I need love, I really, really do!

Ed says, “An intentional decision to love God with all of your being comes first. And an intentional decision to love others as yourself comes second.”

He goes on, “The Bible never tells us to love ourselves. That is a given. I love myself. You love yourself too. But when I am asked to love my neighbor as myself, that is a tall order. You might say, ‘I want to have deep relationships. I really want to connect with others.’ Many of us say that, but in reality, we don’t mean it. The truth of the matter is that most people, including Christians, have surface-level relationships. We may have known people for a long time, but we are still talking about the same stuff: the weather, sports, and current events. We are fearful to relate to them on a deep level. Why? We say to ourselves, ‘If they knew all of my problems, they would reject me. They wouldn’t like me. They would not believe what I am dealing with or what I have done or what I am struggling with. They would just keep me at arm’s length.’ In an effort to not feel the loneliness of rejection, we isolate ourselves and feel the loneliness of not being truly known. If we were to come clean about our spiritual and relational loneliness and really begin to share who we are with people, they would probably sigh and tell us they are struggling with the same issues.”

He continues, “The key is to keep both of these levels of loneliness in balance. Do not expect other people to fix your spiritual loneliness or expect God to fill the relational void in your life. You were created for relationship with God and community—not one or the other. You cannot expect your spouse to meet needs that only God can meet. You can’t put those types of expectations on your wife or your husband or your friend. My friends can’t deliver me from evil. My friends cannot answer my prayers. My friends cannot forgive me of my sins or guide me or lead me. Only God can do that. If we turn to human relationships to satisfy our relational loneliness before turning to God to satisfy our spiritual loneliness, we are in for trouble. We cannot dump all of our longings and feelings of loneliness on human relationships. We must first bring our loneliness to God, and then we will be able to feel more satisfied and fulfilled in our relationships.”

He then says, “Sometimes we rely so much on other people to take away our feelings of loneliness that we become clingy. We put so much pressure on the other person that we totally turn them off to wanting to relate to us at all. They begin to say, ‘Man, I need some space. You are smothering me.’ They push us away, and we feel rejected. If or when this happens, go back to God and recognize the spiritual longing you have neglected. Your Savior must be the source of your relational strength. When you connect with Him, when you walk with Him, when you talk with Him, then you have some real power to bring to human relationships. A true friend is going to point you to Christ. A true friend will deepen your relationship with Him.”

And that is what we want, and need isn’t it?

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind