Skip to main content

“Clear thinking means submitting your mind to any new reality.”

A thought by John Townsend from his book, Leading From Your Gut (p. 62). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

I know, I know that looking at a new idea is difficult for some.  It really is, but it could make a difference.

John says, “Related to holding opposing thoughts in tension is the ability to change and adapt when the facts dictate it. The best leaders know that reality is larger than they are, so they don’t mind taking a different course when there is new information. Clear thinking means submitting your mind to any new reality.”

He goes on, “I was working in my office and needed to use a piece of computer equipment I’d left at home. I called one of my teenage sons and, knowing he was busy with school activities, offered him ten dollars to stop what he was doing and bring me the equipment. Since it was a thirty-minute round-trip drive, it sounded reasonable to me. He said, ‘I’ll do it for fifteen dollars.’ I didn’t mind that response. I didn’t play the guilt card or the ‘you owe your dad’ card because I have talked to my sons a lot about money, time, and negotiation. I just said thanks but no thanks and hung up. Then I called his brother and left him a voice mail with the same request. I had a backup, having two sons who can drive.

“About a minute later, the first son called me back and said, ‘I’ll do it for ten dollars.’

“‘Great,’ I said. ‘Why the change of heart?’

“‘When I hung up, I asked Mom if you were trying to teach me a lesson on negotiation,’ he said. ‘Mom said, ‘“No, he’s going to call your brother.”’” My wife understood the situation clearly. And my son quickly adapted to the new information and made the necessary changes.”

John then said, “Leaders who think will need the ability to admit when they are wrong or should change direction. Those who insist that the original plan is the only plan are often at risk. You instill doubt in people with that stance, and you instill trust in people when you adapt to new realities.”

That is very, very good. That is a very productive thing to do, isn’t it?

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...