Skip to main content

“Active and passive meanings have no moral value; they are neither good nor bad.”

A thought by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend from their book, It's Not My Fault. (pg. 45) Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Maybe it has been a while since you have heard these two words.  John says, “The active voice connotes that someone is doing something; the passive voice indicates that something is being done.”  Ok, that is what they mean.

John says, “They just convey different realities. But the problem comes when people use passive language to explain their choices in such a way that they disown responsibility, ownership, and empowerment. They have selected a way of thinking and communicating to others that hampers their ability to take charge and take action to get what they need.”

He goes on, “Let’s look at some examples of using passive language, and how it could be recast in ways more helpful in meeting your goals:

 “• I was prevented from getting to the meeting on time by the traffic. How about, ‘I chose to chat on the phone too long before I got in the car’?
 • The opportunity to bring up the problem didn’t come up in the conversation. How about, ‘I felt awkward, so I didn’t say anything’?
 • He made me go to that horrible movie. How about, ‘I gave him control over my choices’?
 • We ended up in bed. How about, ‘I let my guard down and chose to have sex with him’?
 • I was manipulated into buying the stock. How about, ‘I chose to not do the research myself, and gave the power and responsibility to that group?
 • I’m waiting on God to find me the perfect job. (This clothes irresponsible passivity—a passive attitude—in pseudo-spiritual language.) How about, ‘I don’t want to send out resumes, call people, and go online. It’s too much trouble?

“When you hold these passive excuses up to the light and expose them, they are not very pretty. And there are lots more examples of passive language than these few. But you get the point. It’s all about learning to put yourself back on the hot seat, which is certainly uncomfortable, but when you compare that momentary discomfort to the reality that you are now back in the driver’s seat of your life, it’s worth it. Now you can get back to what you can do and achieve. Until you do that, other people are in charge of your life.

So, do you want to take responsibility for your life?  Do you and will you?

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...