Skip to main content

"That’s the kind of faith God wants us to have all the time."


A thought by Christine Cane, from her book, How Did I Get Here? (p. 30). Thomas Nelson, Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

And that is what I want.

Christine says, "Even if! That’s the kind of faith God wants us to have all the time. Even-if faith is what keeps us tethered when we are in the midst of a crisis, when we do not understand what is going on, when our situation is painful, confusing, demoralizing, disheartening, disappointing. Even-if faith keeps us from drifting. It anchors us. It’s now faith! It’s faith for the present moment and for whatever fiery trial we’re going through. Maybe you’ve learned you can’t graduate on time. Maybe you have been given a grim diagnosis. Maybe you’ve lost a dear friendship. Maybe you have lost your savings or your business. Maybe you’ve lost someone you loved deeply. And the pain you are feeling is something you’ve never known and something you never want to feel again. The only kind of faith that will get you through is even-if faith."


She goes on, "God wants us to have both future-focused faith and even-if faith—and he wants us living in the tension of them both. For example, the Bible tells us to look for Jesus’ second coming, to keep watch, to be expectant of him splitting the skies (Rev. 6:14–16). But at the same time, how are we supposed to live here on earth in the midst of all the fires we walk through? Because, let’s face it, we’re always entering a fire, standing in the middle of fire, or coming out of one. Sitting around looking for Jesus to come rescue us isn’t going to equip us to walk through the fires, but even-if faith will. Even-if faith looks at life this way:

  • "Even if I get a divorce, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I can’t finish school right now, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if the doctor calls and there’s something seriously wrong, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I lose my job, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I don’t get married, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I can’t have children, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I lose that friend, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I can never quit working, yet I will trust God. 
  • Even if I lose everything I have worked so hard for, yet I will trust God.
"Even if . . . Even if . . . Even if . . . That’s the level of trust and the kind of faith I want to have in God. Don’t you?"

She then says, 

  • "Even if God doesn’t seem to answer my prayers, yet I will trust him. 
  • Even if God answers my prayers with a no, yet I will trust him. 
  • Even if the answers to my prayers take years, yet I will trust him. 
  • Even if I can’t trace the hand of God, yet I will trust him. 
  • Even if . . . yet I will trust him."

 And that is where real trust comes in, doesn't it? Yes, yes! #continuethought



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind