Skip to main content

"I don’t know who you turn to when you need a listening ear..."


A thought by Christine Cane, from her book, How Did I Get Here? (p. 32). Thomas Nelson, Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

It's great when you have someone.

Christine says, "I don’t know who you turn to when you need a listening ear, when you’re trying to make sense of something that’s happening, and you want to walk in even-if faith, but you are finding it difficult to do. When my mind is racing and I need to get something off my chest, I typically turn to Nick or to one of my dearest friends, as they are the ones who have helped me the most when I’ve needed to look to Jesus and set my anchor once more. Maybe for you that’s your mother, a favorite aunt, or your BFF. For me, what’s been especially hard, though, has been the times when what was weighing on me was so deep, so painful, or too hard to understand that I needed more than what Nick or my friends could give me—like when I wanted to ring the bell. In those times, I’ve needed something more to help me let go of all my what-ifs so I could find my way to having even-if faith. And the something I’ve discovered is a kind of prayer the Bible refers to as a lament."

She goes on, "Though I pray every day, I have found that it’s one thing to talk to God and perhaps another when we really get gut-level honest and pour out our hearts to him—when we trust him with the deepest levels of our true selves and tell him everything. Even the hard things. Especially the hard things. It’s part of how we get from wherever we are to that place of even-if faith. This kind of honesty—this lament—is scattered all throughout the Bible. In fact, one-third of the Psalms are songs or poems of lament. The book of Lamentations is an entire book filled with lamenting. It’s five poems expressing anguish at the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 BC."

She continues, "In the New Testament, Jesus lamented.7 He travailed over Israel. He wept over Jerusalem (Luke 19:41–44). He spilled tears over Lazarus (John 11:35). Before his arrest and crucifixion, in the garden of Gethsemane, he prayed three times to his heavenly Father, his sweat falling like drops of blood to the ground (Luke 22:44). 'If it is possible, let this cup pass from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will' (Matt. 26:39). And on the cross he cried out, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' (Matt. 27:46 ESV).

"When I think of these passages, I see Jesus demonstrating for us what it is to be honest with our Father, to be surrendered to our Father, to be in a place of faith, willing to move forward, but acknowledging the struggle or the pain, all at the same time. I see Jesus lamenting and giving us permission to lament as well. I see him willing to feel what we feel, willing to lament right along with us when things don’t go the way we hope. I see him as human even as he is divine (Isa. 9:6; John 1:1–14; Col. 2:9)."


She then says, "True lament is a form of prayer and surrender. It is a form of worship because it comes to God instead of turning away from God. So often when we face pain, we go the other way. We distance. Lament doesn’t distance. Lament draws near. And as it does, it doesn’t accuse God’s character but takes refuge in his character. It doesn’t say, 'God, you aren’t good,' but 'God, I don’t understand.' It doesn’t say, 'God, I am turning from you because I don’t trust you,' but 'God, I am turning to you because I do.'"

God understands what we feel in whatever we are going through and He wants us to be honest, really honest. So let's not turn away but draw near. Okay?  Yes, yes! #continuethought




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind