Skip to main content

"I put my trust in God . . . something that has never come easy to me."


A thought by Christine Cane, from her book, How Did I Get Here? (p. 19). Thomas Nelson, Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

But it is so important.

Christine says, "Something that I know doesn’t come easy to a lot of us because trusting God takes intentionality and perpetual, repeated choosing. It isn’t passive but active—and our trust is tested with time and trials."

She continues, "We tend to think that we are trusting in him and that trusting is easy until . . . until we start to lose control of the things we’ve worked so hard to control—whether it’s our children, our marriages, our homes, our schedules, our routines, our friendships, our education, our careers, our savings, or even our spiritual lives, as strange as that may sound. We think we’ve reached a certain level of maturity, but if we face a crisis bigger than or different from anything we’ve ever faced before, we realize we have more room to grow. More room to trust."

She later says, "Over the years, I’ve learned that one of the signs I might be walking away from trust and moving over into fear is when all the what-if questions start coming. . . Each time, I know I can run with them and start drifting or stop them by dropping—and setting—anchor and trusting God once more. I feel sure you know exactly what I’m talking about . . . when our minds just go there. . .

"What if . . . what if . . . what if . . . ? When our thinking starts to be irrational, when our thoughts start dragging us down a road where we never wanted to go, when we feel helpless to stop the unraveling that ensues, we’re not trusting God in the present moment because, in our heads, we’re playing out a future moment. And if we’re not careful, we can go from peace to panic, from wonder to worry, from stewarding to squandering, from preparation to winging it, from trust to terrified in mere minutes. It’s so easy, when the what-ifs start, to drift not only in our thinking but in everything our thinking affects—our decision-making, our sound judgment, our responses, our beliefs, our emotions, our perspectives. Even our physical bodies.

"I’ve experienced this kind of helplessness before, in that season when I wanted to ring the bell. I had given up and gotten up after one of those nights I told you about, where I couldn’t sleep, and I went out onto our bedroom balcony to get a breath of fresh air. But instead of relaxing and staying in a place of trusting God, I started ruminating again—and reliving the past only led me to thinking of all the what-ifs. Before I knew it, I was drifting, and my heart was racing so fast I couldn’t catch it.

"Soon, my body started shaking from head to toe. And I couldn’t stop it. No matter how hard I tried. No matter how much I concentrated—or tried to concentrate. It was no use. It was as though my body had grown a mind of its own. I wanted it to do one thing, but it had decided to do another. When I called out for Nick, my teeth were chattering as though I were freezing, and my voice sounded barely above a whisper to my ears. Still, he was there in a flash, and he held on to me until I stopped shaking. To this day I’m not sure how long that was, but I do remember his voice. And what he said. Over and over. 'I got you.'"


She then says, "Isn’t that what God is always saying to us? In one way or another? He’s promised us, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' (Heb. 13:5 ESV; see also Deut. 31:6), and God keeps his promises (Heb. 10:23). Still, why is it sometimes easier to give in to our what-ifs than to lean into him? He even promises to keep us in perfect peace if we’ll just trust him and keep our minds steadfastly fixed on him (Isa. 26:3). And yet, our tendency is to drift."

Yes it is but we don't have to, do we? It is so good to know that we are not alone, that others have the same problems we do but also to realize that God is there and He will never leave us. So will you somehow reach out to Him and let His touch you? Will you? Yes, yes! #continuethought



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind