Skip to main content

“The beauty of the Gospel is found in both proclamation and demonstration. Neither comes first; neither comes second.”

A thought by Gabe Lyons (2010-10-05) in his book, The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America (p. 94). Doubleday Religion. Kindle Edition.

There is a telling part of the Good News that Jesus came to give us life and to give it more abundantly but there is also a showing and doing part in my life.  Many times it is easier to tell than to do.

I mean we can share with everyone that God is love but never love anyone.  We can say that Jesus loves all the children of the world but our actions show that we hate Muslims and gays.

Or we can be a person that everybody loves but never tell anyone how that Jesus is the reason why we are the person we are.

The awesome part of the Good News that Christ has given us is that it is both.

Now we can know the Bible inside and out.  My mom started me memorizing the Bible when I was very young.  That is a very good thing.  It helps to have the Word at our disposal when we are going through tough times.

Back when I was a freshman in college I thought I was going to marry this certain girl but we broke up and I was in pain.  Now I had the verse, “Casting all your care on Him for He cares for you” memorized and I said that over and over and over and the thought really made a difference.  Yes knowing does make a difference but doing is also very important.  I needed to give Him my hurts.  To rely on Him that He had a plan for my life and not continue being in despair.  There was something I needed to do, I had to cast on Him, I had to give it to Him.

Now what Christ has done for us is to be lived.  I am not to say I’m a Christ-follower and not live like one but I also must at some point share what Christ has done for me and what a difference He has made for me.  The telling does make a difference.

What if I say to someone that they are my friend that I care for them but not ever tell them about the thing that has made all of the difference in my life?  What kind of a friend would I be?  So telling the Good News is also very important. 

So proclamation and demonstration are a part of the beauty of the Gospel.  Let’s be the part that Christ wants us to be.

So what do you think

Comments

  1. Sometimes I think that proclamation is done for the sole purpose of demonstration, i.e., in order to receive attention for others. I think that a silent proclamation through a living demonstration gets people curious to ask the question "why". The thing that Jesus had, that most of us lack, is clear intentions for doing what he did, and saying what he said. Our intentions, on the other hand, might seem altruistic but wind up being borne from selfishness. Who's to say? And who's to fully know? Does that necessarily take away from the meaning of the message? Probably not -- and who knows the difference, but He who knows what dwells in the depths of our hearts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course intentions is true with either but that is God's job to judge. the key is to do both for Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind