Skip to main content

“Worry keeps you from doing what you can do today to affect a better future.”

A thought by James MacDonald (2010-05-03) from his book, 10 Choices: A Proven Plan to Change Your Life Forever (Kindle Location 2570). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Oh if we would see this and learn this and make the right choices.  James says, “Fear focuses on what you cannot control. Worry keeps you from doing what you can do today to affect a better future. Worry chokes your ability to make good choices today. Fretting about the future does not alter it.”

Here check out some of our worries…

James says, “Worrying about the future doesn’t change my health, but it does insulate me from doing the positive things that affect my future today.”

“I can love my family today, first and foremost. I can pray for them, forgive them, and ask forgiveness of them. I can serve them. Worrying about them might help me feel like I’m involved somehow, but all I’m doing is spinning my wheels in the mud. I have to admit I can’t control my family’s future.”

“I can save more money than I spend. I can say no to things I don’t need and pay down that credit card once and for all. I can work hard at my job and try to be the best employee that I can be. I can take classes and expand my career opportunities. I can do a lot. But worrying about the future makes me think I’m busy with important stuff instead of actually doing what I can do. It insulates me from the actions today that will ensure a better tomorrow.”

“I can’t control the moral climate that I live in. I can’t control the outcome of elections. But I can choose to trust God and turn to Him for strength and victory.”

He later says, “Face it; on this side of eternity, there will never be a day when you won’t need to trust the God who loves you.”

So what are you waisting energy worrying about?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...