Skip to main content

“Sometimes the hardest conversation to have is the one you have with yourself.”

A thought by Kyle Idleman (2014-03-01) from his book, AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything (p. 85). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

And we all know that is the truth.  It is so hard to be brutally honest with ourselves isn’t it?

Kyle in this book is using the story of the Prodigal Son as the biblical basis for his thoughts.  Maybe you remember the story of this young son who came to his father and asked him to give him his inheritance before time and he then went out and blew it all.  Finely he finds himself in a pigpen feeding pigs and he says, “How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.” (Luke 15: 17– 19)

Kyle says, “He was honest with himself about what he deserved. That kind of honesty is difficult. The hardest person in the world to be honest with is the person in the mirror…”

He goes on, “Like the wife who wakes up to her critical spirit but refuses to say, ‘I have been wrong to be so negative. I know my husband needs my encouragement and support, but I’ve just complained and criticized.’  Like the husband who realizes his sexual sin but refuses to say, ‘My pornography problem has created a wedge in my marriage and has hardened my heart toward my wife.’”

Kyle goes on, “No one wants to say those things. No one wants to look in the mirror and admit: I have chosen to sit on a couch watching Sports Center over being a spiritual leader in my home. I go shopping and spend money we don’t have to make me feel better about the things in my life that I can’t control. I haven’t had real faith in years. I’m pretending to be someone I’m not to impress the people around me, but the truth is I’m a hypocrite.”

He then says, “The Bible calls the moment when we have a moment of brutal honesty and we tell ourselves the truth— even when it’s not what we want to hear— confession. AHA doesn’t happen without it. There are a number of ways the word confession can be understood and defined, but here’s one definition of confession: to agree. You come to a place where you stop disagreeing with truth and you honestly say, ‘Here I am.’”


So what is you need to be brutally honest about to yourself and to God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...