Skip to main content

"Patience is a virtue in problem solving if you are at the same time doing all that you can to fix the situation."

A thought by John C. Maxwell (2013-10-08) from his book, Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn:Life's Greatest Lessons Are Gained from Our Losses (p. 152). Center Street. Kindle Edition.

He then says, “It is not a virtue if you are waiting, hoping that the problem will solve itself or just go away. Problems demand that we pay them attention. Why? Because left alone they almost always get worse.”

Let me give you an example.  Over the holidays I have gained about 18 lbs. that I had lost.  That is a problem that I can feel in my joints and it has the potential to make me an invalid in my later years.  That is what I know will happen if I am just patient and do nothing.  I have to do something drastic at my age to lose the weight.  And that is where the patience comes in.  Weight doesn’t come off fast at 65+.  So I have gone back to doing what I know will help to solve my weight problem and I am patient in believing that if I keep doing it or whatever else I need to do I will lose the 18 lbs. and more. 

You see, problems left alone usually get worse.   But you might say, “I have asked God to handle this problem and by faith I am waiting for Him to handle it.  I’m being patient.”  I understand that situation but there still is a part you play in solving the problem.  God will let you know your part.  But there is the potential as you are doing what you believe God has asked you to do that the problem will get worse but because of your obedience and your trust in God He through you and in you will eventually help you solve the problem. 

Now the key is you did three things.  You asked Him to handle the problem and then you asked Him what you were to do in solving the problem and then you did what He said.  You didn’t stick your head in the sand and do nothing. 

Don’t get all worked up about the problem.  That in no way helps, it hurts but you need to relax and be patient and seek an answer to solving it no matter how long it takes.   The virtue is in believing that you will at some point be able to solve the problem and do something about it.

So what are you doing about your problem?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...