Skip to main content

"It’s not the destination that makes the trip, but the person you’re with."


A thought by Craig Groeschel (2012-04-24) from his book, Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World (p. 166). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.

That is so true.  Craig made this statement dealing with young couples going into deep debt to go on an expensive honeymoon.  Again I say, what he says is so true.
 
Back some 39 years ago when Margaret and I got married I knew that one of the major marriage problems was finances.  Money problems hurt marriages.  I had a new car that had payments and Margaret had an older car that didn’t.  My dad also had an older car that was paid for so we switched cars.  My dad took over the payments on my new Plymouth Duster and I took his old Oldsmobile.  A big switch but it was worth it.  Our marriage was worth it.

I was thinking during my time of connection with God this morning about how very fortunate I am.  I love my family.  I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world.

I rented a van for Brett, Marissa, Ashlyn, Addison, Margaret and I to go to Vegas for the weekend.  No, we are not going down to the Strip but out to NW Vegas to celebrate Harper Olivia Cole’s first birthday.  Stefanie Cole is our daughter and her mother and Andrew Cole is her father.  It’s not the destination that makes the trip, but the people you’re with. 

And it all began with taking our life trip with God.  Now I understand that our ultimate destination is heaven but I am really enjoying the trip with Him and with Addison, Andrew, Ashlyn, Brett, Harper, Marissa, Stefani and my life partner, Margaret.  And it doesn’t mean going into deep debt.

Yes, the ultimate destination is great but so are the people.  God is so good.


So who is that person in your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...