Skip to main content

"Learning to say 'I was wrong' is a major step toward becoming a responsible and successful adult."


A thought by Gary Chapman, from his book, When Sorry Isn't Enough (p. 35). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

Gary says, "Blogger Reese Andrews shared a moving story:


    
My youngest son, Asher, is ten years old. He has epilepsy and cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. Yesterday, as my husband was helping load Asher and his wheelchair onto his school bus, a young woman drove her car slowly past the stopped bus. She knew what she was doing. She caught my husband’s eye as she approached the end of the bus and he watched her drive through the intersection and away.

    I wish I could tell you this was an unusual occurrence, but unfortunately it happens at least once a month. Someone is too busy, in too much of a hurry to stop while a bus is loading or unloading kids. What happened next, however, was totally out of the norm.

    About an hour later we heard a knock at the front door. It was the woman who had driven past the bus. She was shaking.

    'I am so sorry for what I did. It was so disrespectful to your son and your family.'

    We were stunned. 

    'I was in a hurry, I was running late, I knew I should have stopped—that’s why I went so slowly—but all I was thinking about was where I needed to be. I am so sorry.'

    Yes, she had absolutely done something wrong. She had, in fact, broken the law. But I have never encountered someone with such pain and remorse. I couldn’t believe she had the sheer guts to come to our door to apologize, not knowing the reaction she might get from us … What really hit me was that she was taking full responsibility for her actions. How often does that happen?

    … She was on our doorstep, physically shaking with anguish at what she had done. She needed to hear she was forgiven. 

    'Thank you so much. I really appreciate that,' my husband told her. 

    She smiled, weakly but gratefully, apologized again, and left.

    I think all of us came away from that experience better for it and with a deep appreciation for the power of being human."

Gary then said, "In confessing her wrongdoing, the woman on the doorstep communicated a heartfelt apology. Many people need to hear the very words 'I was wrong. I accept responsibility' as part of the reconciliation process. Understanding this reality can make all the difference in the world when you sincerely wish to apologize for your behavior."

And that is so true, isn't it? Yes, yes! #continuethought




 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...