Skip to main content

"It’s amazing that mental images have such power—but they do."


A thought by Zig Zigler, from his book, Better Than Good (p. 30). Thomas Nelson, Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

And this is very true.

Zig says, "The power of the imagination is one of the greatest untapped resources in the human tool kit. It’s amazing that mental images have such power—but they do."


He goes on, "One of the things that spurred me on as a rookie speaker was my imagination. I pictured myself speaking before crowds of thousands of people, knocking them dead with my humor and wisdom and humbly receiving their standing ovations. That didn’t happen overnight, but I never allowed that picture to be erased from my mind. And eventually, everything I had imagined, and then some, became reality.

"Bruce Barton made an interesting observation: 'I do not like the phrase ' "Never cross a bridge until you come to it." ' It is used by too many men as a cloak for mental laziness. The world is owned by men who cross bridges on their imaginations miles and miles in advance of the procession. Some men are born with more of an imagination than others, but it can, by hard work, be cultivated—not by mere daydreaming, not by lazy wondering, but by hard study and earnest thought.' "

Zig continues, "To this very day I still imagine exactly where I will put the emphasis on a word, how long I’ll pause between this statement and that, if I’ll raise or lower my voice, and if I’ll raise my arms or get down on one knee to make a point while I’m speaking.

"As I arrange my notes, I’m deciding at what point in my presentation I’ll walk from one side of the stage to the other, how fast I’ll do it, and how long I’ll stay there. My imagination helps me work through what I want to be the best speech I’ve ever given. It is as Bruce Barton says, hard study and earnest thought, but the results are well worth the effort."

Zig then says, "Please understand I speak of the imagination only in the way I believe God intended it to be used: as a source of inspiration and motivation. I am not into New Age beliefs that suggest we can create reality just by thinking hard enough about it. I believe God created reality and how I respond to Him determines my condition in life. But I believe the pictures we paint for ourselves of the kinds of things we’d like to achieve can be powerful stimulants."

So, will you be inspired by first living out your dreams in your imagination? Will you?

Yes, yes!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...