Skip to main content

"Just tell yourself the truth."


A thought by Andy Stanley from his book, Better Decisions, Fewer Regrets (p. 25). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

Andy in this book is dealing with five questions for us to ask in making decisions and his first one is "Am I being honest with myself?"

He says, "You may not owe it to anyone else. But you owe it to yourself to be honest about why you choose what you choose, why you’re deciding what you’re deciding. There’s no win in selling yourself. There’s no win in justifying options. 

"Just tell yourself the truth."


He goes on, "It helps to ask this question twice. But on the second round, it helps to add a word. 

• Am I being honest with myself . . . really? 

• Why am I doing this . . . really?

 • Why am I avoiding him . . . really? 

• Why am I postponing this . . . really? 

• Why do I keep making excuses . . . really? 

• Why am I going . . . really? 

• Why did I say yes . . . really? 

• Why did I choose to wear this . . . really? 

• Why did I choose to purchase, lease that . . . really? 

• Why do I drive this . . . really? 

• Why did I order that . . . really? 

• Why did I move in . . . really? 

• Why am I moving out . . . really?"

". . . when it comes to selling ourselves on bad ideas or bad decisions, we’re the best. When it comes to convincing ourselves to do the wrong thing, we’re experts. When it comes to building and arguing a case for why we should do something we know we shouldn’t do, we’re unassailable litigating fools. We all deserve honorary law degrees."

He continues, "So, let’s stop with all that. Just tell yourself the unfiltered truth. It won’t hurt. Well, it may hurt your ego. You may hurt your own feelings. You may embarrass yourself . . . to yourself. But in the end, it may help. Owning the real why behind your what may cause lights to come on. Lights can be terrifying. Roaches and rats certainly think so. But light can be a disinfectant. Truth can be as well. They go hand in hand. So, bring your narratives, justifications, and excuses into the light. You may learn something."

He says, "We come into the world with a proclivity for selling ourselves on what we want to do rather than what we ought to do. I’m a sucker for me. You’re a sucker for you. As soon as we see something we want, we start selling. But all of that is just a polite way of saying, we lie to ourselves and believe our own lies.

"Granted, an extra dessert every once in a while isn’t the end of the world. Just the end of the diet. But there are decisions on which your entire future hinges. You talk yourself into some things and you pay. In some cases, you pay for the rest of your life.

"Got a DUI or a felony conviction that raises its ugly head at the most inopportune times? An ex that keeps coming back for more money? Do you get calls from a debt collector? Don’t you wish you could go back and talk yourself out of, rather than into, the decision that led to those outcomes? Sure you do. As Steven Covey famously stated: 'You can’t talk your way out of a problem you behaved your way into.'"

Andy then says, "That’s absolutely true. It’s equally true we talked ourselves into the behavior that created the problem we’re attempting to talk our way out of. Our problems usually begin when we take our own bad advice. And we’re all guilty. We’ve all talked ourselves into things we can’t talk our way out of."

And that is so true, isn't it? 

Yes, yes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...