Skip to main content

“But there is one gift your troubles cannot touch.”

A thought by Max Lucedo, from his book, God Will Carry You Through (p. 18). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

So, what is it?

Max says, “Your destiny. Can we talk about it?”

Max then says, “You are God’s child.  He saw you, picked you, and placed you. ‘You did not choose me; I chose you’ (John 15:16). Before you are a butcher, baker, or cabinetmaker; male or female; Asian or black, you are God’s child. Replacement or fill-in? Hardly. You are his first choice.

“… He chose you. The choice wasn’t obligatory, required, compulsory, forced, or compelled. He selected you because he wanted to. You are his open, willful, voluntary choice. He walked onto the auction block where you stood, and he proclaimed, ‘This child is mine.’ And he bought you ‘with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot’ (1 Peter 1:19 NKJV). You are God’s child.”

Max goes on, “You are God’s child forever.

“Don’t believe the tombstone. You are more than a dash between two dates. Don’t get sucked into short-term thinking. Your struggles will not last forever, but you will.”

He says, “My father had just retired. He and Mom had saved their money and made their plans. They wanted to visit every national park in their travel trailer. Then came the diagnosis: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), a cruel degenerative disease of the muscles. Within months he was unable to feed, dress, or bathe himself. His world, as he knew it, was gone.

“At the time, my wife, Denalyn, and I were preparing to do mission work in Brazil. When we got the news, I offered to change my plans. How could I leave the country while he was dying? Dad’s reply was immediate and confident. He was not known for his long letters, but this one took up four pages:

“In regard to my disease and your going to Rio. That is really an easy answer for me and that is Go . . . I have no fear of death or eternity . . . so don’t be concerned about me. Just Go. Please him.

“Dad lost much: his health, retirement, years with his children and grandchildren, years with his wife. The loss was severe, but it wasn’t complete.

“Several years after Dad’s death, I received a letter from a woman who remembered him. Ginger was only six years old when her Sunday school class made get-well cards for ailing church members. She created a bright purple card out of construction paper and carefully lined it with stickers. On the inside she wrote, ‘I love you, but most of all, God loves you.’ Her mom baked a pie, and the two made the delivery.

“Dad was bedfast. The end was near. His jaw tended to drop, leaving his mouth open. He could extend his hand, but it was bent to a claw from the disease.

“Somehow Ginger had a moment alone with him and asked a question as only a six-year-old can: ‘Are you going to die?’

“He touched her hand and told her to come near. ‘Yes, I am going to die. When? I don’t know.

“She asked if he was afraid to go away. ‘Away is heaven,’ he told her. ‘I will be with my Father. I am ready to see him eye to eye.’

“About this point in the visit, her mother and mine returned. Ginger recalls:

“My mother consoled your parents with a fake smile on her face. But I smiled a big beautiful real smile and he did the same and winked at me.

“My purpose for telling you all this is my family and I are going to Kenya. We are going to take Jesus to a tribe on the coast. I am very scared for my children, because I know there will be hardships and disease. But for me, I am not afraid, because the worst thing that could happen is getting to see ‘my Father eye to eye.’

“It was your father who taught me that earth is only a passing through and death is merely a rebirth.”

Max then said, “A man near death, winking at the thought of it. Stripped of everything? It only appeared that way. In the end, Dad still had what no one could take. And in the end that is all he needed.”

And that is all we also need, isn’t it? 

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind