Skip to main content

“If you’re going to do what God has called you to do, you have to intentionally bring the people into your life He wants you to have.”

A thought by Steven Furtick, (2012-09-04) from his book, Greater: Dream Bigger. Start Smaller. Ignite God's Vision for Your Life. (p. 162). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Back when I stepped out of pastoring into the adventure of retiring I knew there would be some difficult challenging days. Any new adventure no matter how great it is has some daily struggles.  Steven says it this way, “Life’s daily demands exert a strong downward pull into the tyranny of the ordinary.”  And that was true for me in those beginning days of retirement. I no longer was a Pastor but to God retirement wasn't to be ordinary for me.

We had moved to Long Island in New York State so I went looking for a set a friends who would be a new group of friends.  I found my Starbucks close to home and then started making friends.  I don’t always tell people that I am a minister or now a retired minister.  That always gives them a different way they look at me.  Well when this one older professor found out my background he then set out to challenge me in my beliefs.  Now I am not an arguer.  I don’t spend any time with negative people so I moved on to another location and I let him know why I was moving on. 

Steven has some practical thoughts on this, “How can you identify the people you need to put out of your life for a season or altogether? I’ve found it helpful to ask a few pointed questions: 
1. Who in my life leads me to attitudes or actions outside of what God prescribes for me in His Word? 
2. Who leaves me drained rather than empowered after a typical conversation? 
3. Who keeps me thinking smaller rather than helping me dream bigger? 
4. Who constantly asserts that what I’m attempting to do for God will not work? 
If there are people in your life who fit these descriptions, it might be time to limit their access to you.”

You see we get to intentionally bring the people into our life He wants us to have.  And when we are in a new adventure you need positive people who will encourage and challenge and motivate and understand what you are going through and who don’t always come with a negative perspective.  You probably won’t change them but there is a real possibility that they will change you.  Who you classify as close friends is your choice so choose wisely.

Steven says, “Jesus put out the people in Jairus’s home who laughed at Him when He wanted to bring Jairus’s daughter back to life (see Mark 5: 40). The concept of putting people out of your life may not sound very loving. But I’m not talking about drawing a circle around people and refusing to care for them. I’m talking about drawing a circle around your spirit and allowing only certain people to affect it. There’s a big difference.

By the way I came back to that Starbucks and that man changed his approach to me because he wanted me to be his friend.  Now he never was a real close friend but there was another man who was a very real encouragement to me and me to him.  God brought him into my life at a key time in my new adventure.

So what are your friends like?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind