Skip to main content

"When I first decided I wanted to make a difference, I had no idea how to do it."


A thought by John C. Maxwell & Rob Hoskins in their book, Change Your World (p. 39). HarperCollins Leadership. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)

Is that also what you want to do?

John says, "I wasn’t sure what I would do or where it would take me or how I would get there. I just knew I wanted to help people, so I started doing what I could. Mother Teresa said, 'I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.' Little did I know that those humble beginnings of just starting to do what I could were creating ripples. You can create ripples too. Here’s how to get started:"


He continues, "As I write this, my dad, Melvin, is ninety-eight years old. He’s always been my hero. I’ve learned a lot from Dad. When I was young, one of his favorite riddles to ask us kids was about five frogs sitting on a log. 'Four decided to jump off. How many are left on the log?' he would ask.

"The first time I answered, 'One.' 

"'No,' Dad replied. 'There are five. Deciding is not doing. You have to do more than decide. You have to take action!' 

"Thanks to those frogs on a log, I learned there’s a huge difference between good intentions and good actions:

  • People with good intentions want to add value to others but find reasons not to do it. 
  • People with good actions want to add value to others and find ways to do it. 
  • People with good intentions can be passive, inconsistent, and disappointing. 
  • People with good actions are deliberate, consistent, and willful. 
  • Good actions represent the dividing line between words and results."
He then says, "We often hear about the haves and the have-nots. When it comes to making a difference and changing our world, we should probably be talking about the dos and the do-nots. We tend to want others to judge us on our intentions. But what ultimately matters isn’t what we intend to do. It’s what we actually do. How do we miss this? We rarely tell ourselves, 'I’m never going to do this good thing.' Instead, we tell ourselves, 'I’m going to do this tomorrow.' But when tomorrow comes, we don’t follow through. Maybe we mean to, but we don’t. That’s why the biggest gap between failure and success is the distance between I should and I did."

So very true. Yes, yes! #continuethought


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...