Skip to main content

"I was sitting at a Broadway play."


A thought by Kyle Idleman, from his book, One at a Time (p. 185). Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)


Kyle continues, "At halftime (though I think they call it intermission), I stood up for the seventh-inning stretch (also pretty sure that’s the wrong term). The man sitting next to me also stood, and we struck up a conversation. He told me he was with his daughter, celebrating her graduation from high school. I told him we were out celebrating our ninth wedding anniversary. He asked if we had children. I told him we had three daughters, ages six, four, and three.

"He smiled, gestured to his teenage daughter, and said, 'I remember when she was six.'

"His tone was accepting and sweet. Then he asked me, very naturally and comfortably, 'Can I tell you what happened to me when she was six? It totally changed what kind of father I was.'

"I nodded yes. 

"He said, 'Well, I worked constantly the first six years of my daughter’s life. I spent little time with her and wasn’t a very good father or husband. My marriage and family were in trouble. Then something happened—a friend of mine invited me to church. I know you’re thinking that church can be boring and irrelevant. I thought that too. I didn’t want to go at first, but he kept asking and I finally agreed. I’ve never thought too highly of organized religion. I still don’t. But I discovered a relationship with Jesus—and it changed my life. He was what I had been looking for. He totally changed my family. I’ve experienced so much joy as a father and husband. It was the best thing I ever did. I know we don’t know each other but . . . well, I just wanted to tell you how glad I am that I made that decision when my daughter was six. It has made all the difference.'"

Kyle then says, "I know I should’ve told him I was a Christian, but I was in shock. No stranger had ever shared their faith with me before. The show started back up, and we both sat back down. I realized I had tears in my eyes—not because of what was happening on the stage, but because of what just happened in the audience. Because the guy sitting next to me found the courage to have a conversation to try to help someone else understand who Jesus is and what he could do in their life."

Now that is the way to make a difference one at a time, isn't it? Yes, yes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...