Skip to main content

“It’s better to manage your energy than to manage your time.”

A thought by John C. Maxwell (2017-03-07) from his book, No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity (p. 43). Center Street. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

So, what does that mean, Bill?  I’m glad you asked.

John says, “There are many capacities that we can increase, but there’s nothing we can do to expand time. The number of minutes in a day, days in a week, and weeks in a year are set. Even our time here on Earth is fixed. Our days are numbered.  That’s why we need to focus on our energy. That’s something we can influence.”

Later he says, “A former CEO of General Electric, Jack Welch, put a great emphasis on a candidate’s energy when he hired leaders. He valued stamina over many other qualities because he believed it was important for leadership sustainability. He also valued a leader’s ability to energize others and motivate a team to be productive.

“I appreciate energy. I grew up in a house full of energy. Dad was always working and was often on the road helping others. Mom was industrious in taking care of our home and all of us. My brother Larry worked from the time he was in his early teens. As for me, I was never able to sit still. Too many times my teachers would say, ‘John never stops talking and he walks around the room while I’m teaching class.’ I suspect that every morning when I got out of bed, my parents probably said, ‘Uh-oh. He’s up.’”

Increasing our energy capacity is a great place to start in raising our capacity.  Even at seventy, I am seeing that I can grow in this area.  I just won’t use the excuse that I don’t have the energy because I do.  My wife and I just moved.  I did it.  We made it and we love our new apartment.  But it took real energy to do it. 

Our son Brett is studying 17 hours a day 7 days a week to pass the California Bar Exam.  He says that he is going to pass it the first time he takes it.  But that takes real energy to do it.  Now he took the time to go to church this past Sunday to celebrate Father’s Day with his family and his parents.  And that too took energy.

So, is this a capacity that you need to better manage or have you given in to the excuse that you have no energy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...