Skip to main content

“Every great comeback in history began with fresh vision.”

A thought by Ray Johnston (2014-05-13) from his book, The Hope Quotient: Measure It. Raise It. You'll Never Be the Same. (p.79). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Now that is a good thought.  Ray says, “It’s not where you start— it’s what you become.”  I understand what start means but what about this become thing? 

He says, “When a parent focuses on what a child can become, that parent becomes far more encouraged and far more encouraging. When leaders in a business focus on what it can become, rather than on its failures, those leaders can carve out an exciting new future for the company.”

He gives a business illustration, “Back in 2002, a slumping Reuters recorded losses of almost 500 million pounds, prompting its CEO to describe the company as ‘fighting for survival.’ Only one year later, however, it recorded profits of almost 500 million pounds. How did the leadership manage this astonishing turnaround? They stopped focusing on what was and instead reimagined what the company could be, and then they took decisive action to make that fresh vision a reality.”

He also gives a personal example, “My dad was a successful businessman. I’d been a Christian for about two years when he came to me one day and said, ‘Jon Archer thinks a lot of you.’

“‘What do you mean?’ I said. Jon Archer’s dad had written books for Billy Graham and now Jon was pastoring the church I was attending.

“’I really don’t want to see you doing this church stuff,’ he said. ‘I’d rather see you in business or sports. But Jon told me, “I think your son could become a Christian leader that would impact people in ways he could never imagine now.”’

“As a college student, I’d been watching Christian friends of mine and thinking, I don’t even know the Bible. All these Christians are on top of things, and I’m just this little spiritual peon. I’ll never forget that conversation. It astonished me that Jon Archer saw something in me that I couldn’t see at all. He didn’t see what I was but what I could become.”

Oh, if we would start doing that even to ourselves.  Ray says, “All of us need to hang around individuals who believe we can become far more than we ourselves think is possible.”

Do you see what you can really become?  Do you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...