Skip to main content

“One of the consequences of covetousness is that it destroys the capacity to discern sufficiency.”

A thought by James MacDonald (2015-06-18) from his book, Lord, Change My Attitude: Before It's Too Late (p. 93). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title of the book to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

I know for the most part the thoughts that will get the most people to stop and read.  But I also don’t want to waist my time in just reading fluff stuff.  I want to be challenged by my reading. And that is why I picked up this book by James MacDonald.

Now a continuation of complaining which we’ve been looking at is coveting.  We want, want, want because we know what will make us happy. 

But James says, “When your life is a covetous life and you’re living for something else— more, better, or different; or perhaps a relationship, a possession— when desires for something are controlling you, you lose your capacity to discern sufficiency. And enough is never enough.”

Later he says, “Now I’m not saying that money or possessions equal sin. I am not saying that the most covetous person is the wealthiest person. There is no direct correlation between wealth and covetousness. The most covetous person you know may also be the one with the least. There is no direct connection between what you have and what you desire. It has everything to do with your attitude. Do I love people or do I love things? Am I looking to the future regarding people I can impact for Christ or regarding things I can acquire for myself? Am I a covetous person? You may say, ‘I’m going to beat the odds.’ No, you’re not! Millions have tried and failed before you. ‘I’m going to be the one person— money is going to make me happy.’ No, it isn’t. One of the consequences of covetousness is enough is never enough.”

He goes on, “I expect readers to put up resistance to these truths. You may well be reading this but not buying it. After all, covetousness has deep roots in our lives. Your thoughts may sound something like, ‘Whatever … but I’m going to beat the odds. I’m gonna have God and ____( fill in the blank)’. It’s your choice, of course. But I’m telling you, life in the wilderness is where you’re headed if you want God and …; if there’s something else you have to have.”


We just need to be reminded of some things, don’t we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind