Skip to main content

“We have a tendency to assume that if our spiritual experience is real, it will produce instant change.”

A thought by Andy Stanley, (2009-01-21) from his book, Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living (Kindle Locations 1054-1055). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

We have a tendency to think that if I am a Christ-follower then longevity means maturity.  That when I accepted Christ into my life that I have arrived and that is it but that isn’t true.  Oh there may be some things that changed in that moment but there are other things that come from growth.  We grow in our character. 

Now I am a 67 year old retired pastor who has found a ministry through writing.  I take other people’s thoughts and from my experience I give my thoughts, I just continue that thought.  Now it can come across that I have arrived.  I no longer have a need to grow, I just need to show.  And there is great spiritual danger there.  I have not yet arrived.  I am still going through the process and I have to constantly live with that fact. 

And God is still very faithful to show me where I need growth in my character.  But there is a real danger of letting my love grow colder and my heart to grow harder and not being sensitive to His voice.  Oh I am mature.  People listen to my wisdom.  But the question is “how is my love life?”  The danger is a hard heart.

This quickened me this morning as I read this thought by Andy, “When what grieves God no longer grieves you, your heart is hard. When what bothers God doesn’t bother you anymore, your heart is hard.”  We have stopped growing in our character.

Andy says, “Character requires a sensitive heart. To develop character amidst the numbing climate of our society, you cannot afford to develop calluses. You cannot risk operating with blind spots.”

So why not stop today and really get honest with yourself and with God. 

How is your heart?  Is it hard or is it sensitive?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...