Skip to main content

“I used to think I needed an office to be a lawyer, but now I know all I need is an island.”

A thought by Bob Goff, (2012-05-01) from his book, Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World (Kindle Locations 134-135). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

And that beginning thought by Bob caught my attention.  The island is Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland.  I have had an Annual Pass to Disney World and I now have an Annual Pass to Disneyland and I have never been to Tom Sawyer Island.  And that speaks to too many of us and our trek through life.

Oh I’ve looked across and seen it many times but I didn’t think it looked very interesting or exciting so I stayed on my side of the water and never adventured to the other side to see what was there.  But Bob did and he says, “I do all of my best thinking on Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland. There’s a picnic table at the end of a little pier right across from the pirate ship. I suppose most people think this place is just a prop because there are a couple of wooden kegs marked “gunpowder” and some pirate paraphernalia hung over the railings. But it’s not just a prop to me; it’s my office.”

So many of us step into the norm of life and never escape.  If I’m a lawyer then I need to have an office.  Did you see the movie or read the book by Michael Connelly called, The Lincoln Lawyer?  Mike Haller’s office is his Lincoln car.  It fits who he is.  It fits him.

But what about us?  I mean there is no way that we can make a difference without an office or church building or wearing a tie or whatever it is that our world says we have to do.  But maybe that is the problem, we strive to do what other people do than what God created us to be and to do.

So I’ve been in a rut for a few days.  I am tired of doing what I have been doing and I need to break out so I am going to go to the Fillmore Station here in Pasadena and get on a train and go to Long Beach with my computer and Kindle Fire for a day of thinking, reading and writing.

By the way, Margaret and I are going to Tom Sawyer Island the next time we are at Disneyland.  I wonder if I will see Bob.

So what do you need to do to break out of your rut?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”

A thought by Larry Osborne (2015-04-01) from his book, Thriving in Babylon: Why Hope,Humility, and Wisdom Matter in a Godless Culture(Kindle Locations 544-545). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition.. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
I have just finished a book and now I am looking for a new one.  I have just bought three new books and have been getting through the beginning of all of them to see which one I will find challenging and enlightening to not only me but to you.
Now this thought stopped me.  I fight within me to be critical of the Christian world and its tendency toward fighting battles that I don’t perceive as God’s battles.  In other words I fight being judgmental of others.  But as Larry says, “It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”  He goes on to say, “We’re not supposed to take it upon ourselves to weed out the genuine from the counterfeit. That’s God’s job. Jesus made it clear that we are to leave the weeding to him.”
N…

“When life doesn’t make sense, it becomes all about trust.”

A thought by Erwin Raphael McManus, (2006-11-14) from his book,Soul Cravings: An Exploration of the Human Spirit(p. 215). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

When you have lived life for any amount of time there is always a chance that you will go through a time that life doesn’t make sense.Maybe that is where you are today.
I have been fortunate to have lived with a father that I could trust.I knew I could trust what my dad said, what he believed and what he taught.I knew he wasn’t perfect but I trusted him.And that was so important as a son living life.I wasn’t ready to take on all the responsibilities of life but I knew I could trust my dad.
Some of you haven’t had that privilege. You had a father that couldn’t be trusted so in life’s not making sense times you can have real trouble.  Having had someone you trust is so important in living through those times.
Now my dad wasn’t perfect in all things but he did lead me to someone who was perfect, someone I could totally trust in all times.  …

“The little things you do every day have a greater impact on others than you might think.”

A thought by John C. Maxwell (2017-03-07) from his book, Encouragement Changes Everything: Bless and Be Blessed (Kindle Location 306-307). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
This is a good reminder, isn’t it?
John says, “Roman philosopher Lucius Annaeus Seneca observed, ‘Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.’ If you want to lift people up, do it daily.”
John goes on, “ENCOURAGERS KNOW THE LITTLE DIFFERENCE THAT SEPARATES HURTING AND HELPING. The little things you do every day have a greater impact on others than you might think. You hold the power to make another person’s life better or worse by the things you do today. Those closest to you—your spouse, children, or parents—are most affected by what you say and do. Use that power wisely.”
He then says, “ENCOURAGERS INITIATE THE POSITIVE IN A NEGATIVE ENVIRONMENT. IT’S ONE THING TO BE POSITIVE IN A POSITIVE OR NEUTRAL ENVIRONMENT. It’s another to be an i…