Skip to main content

“The instant we knowingly compromise our character, a change takes place deep inside us.”

A thought by Andy Stanley, (2009-01-21) from his book, Louder Than Words: The Power of Uncompromised Living (Kindle Location 497). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

You have experienced that haven’t you?  Andy says, “In that moment we become keenly aware of a disparity between God’s standard and the one we are living out. We are filled with a gnawing sense of unworthiness, and we feel distanced from Him. We call this feeling guilt.”  And that guilt affects my relationship with God.

I know that God hates pride.  I just was at Whole Foods Market and I put the checker on the spot on something that I thought she had done wrong.  As I was walking out I had this feeling inside that I had mishandled that.  I saw that my pride had reared its ugly head and that it had the potential to hurt my relationship with God. 

Now I could have just ignored the feeling and rationalized that she was trying to jip me out of some of my money and that I had the right to stand up against wrong.  And I understand the need for justice but I also know the real problem of pride.  How dare she do that to ME!  And that is not pleasing to God and that is not what a man with character would do.  And I knew that it would eventually hurt my relationship with Him.

My problem is I have to decide on being a person with character who has a clear relationship with God or a person with rights.

Now as Andy says, “To avoid the pursuit of character is to jeopardize one’s walk with God. If the development of character is not an intentional pursuit for you, it should come as no surprise that God seems distant and uninterested.”

Now He isn’t but it does damage our relationship with Him and it needs to be taken care of. There needs to be a place for confession and asking for forgiveness and then not doing it again.  It can get to the place where it does sever our relationship with Him.  It is that important.

So confession was in order for me so that I would have that clear channel to the One I love.  And of course then striving to not do it again.  I want to be a man who loves people and is not hard or judgmental on them.  And the Enemy knows my weakness and constantly puts situations in my path that will hurt my relationship and fellowship with God.

So what is the weak link in your character that damages your relationship with God? 

Comments

  1. Boy, I really appreciate what you've shared, here. I can relate to it 100%, and I am so grateful to have a patient and forgiving God who strives to keep me from being a complete jerk!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...