Skip to main content

"An innovator who has brilliant ideas but lacks the discipline and persistence to carry them out is merely a dreamer."

A thought by Malcolm Gladwell, (2013-10-01) from his book, David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, andthe Art of Battling Giants (p. 116). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

I have the idea that I am going to this year weigh less than 200 lbs..  It has been 20 years since I’ve weighed under 200 lbs.  I know I can do it and the truth is I can but will i?  That is the question.  It is not based on my ability or my desire but on my discipline and persistence.

I think it is a brilliant idea that will make a difference in the quality and length of my life.  But will it be just a dream or will it be a reality?  It all depends on my discipline and persistence and the daily healthy habits that I put into my life. 

John Maxwell in his book, Sometimes You Win--Sometimes You Learn: Life's Greatest LessonsAre Gained from Our Losses says, “The secret to success can be found in your daily agenda. Average people don’t put in the extra work every day to keep growing and changing.”

I am really wrestling with this right now.  My success is holding me back.  In the last few years, I have gone from 260 to 210.  I only had 11 lbs. to go but I slowed down before reaching the goal and have gained 17 lbs. and I have some daily habits that I need to go back to do again.  The key is do I really want to do it?

This is the hard part.  John also says, “Ninety percent of those who fail are not actually defeated; they simply quit.”  I am not going to quit.  I will not fail. I am not a dreamer but I am disciplined and determined and I am a doer.

So what new habit and new discipline do I need to start doing today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...