Skip to main content

“Receiving grace is often easier than dispensing it.”

A thought by Andy Stanley (2010-10-19) in his book, The Grace of God (p. 117). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

I don’t know if you are married or not but if you are you experience conflict every once in a while.  This is especially true if there are two very strong willed people in the marriage.  Conflict just happens but resolving it and coming out of it with the relationship in tack means someone hast to stop and listen to what the other person is saying.   If the relationship is important, at some point one of the two will decide to stop telling their side and listen to the other side.  When this happens there will be a resolution to the conflict.

Now which is easier?  To be gracious and to stop trying to get them to understand your side or to be the one who is allowed to tell their side.  Of course being the one allowed to continue has the easier time but the one who stops and listens is deeply rewarded.  It is great to receive grace but it is also great to give it.

I had something interesting happen to me today.  Every morning I have a walking routine at our Roosevelt Mall.  I walk for at least 45 minutes and then I stop at the Starbucks in the Mall and get a Venti Tazo® Black Shaken Iced Tea and set down, drink it while I read my Kindle and then walk another 45 minutes.  Well today I paid for my drink and the three baristas were a little slow getting my drink made and it bothered me but I didn’t say anything.  Now usually after I set down to drink my tea I check in to Foursquare on my iPhone that I am there at the Starbucks in the Roosevelt Mall and I almost today made mention for the world to read that I had gotten poor service.  But I didn’t so I started reading my Kindle and the first words I read were, “Where is your grace?”  That got my attention and I asked God to forgive me.  I was glad I hadn’t said anything.

God wants us to be gracious people no matter what people do to us or how easy it is.  He is so gracious to us.   We don’t deserve it and they don’t either but He gives it to us and He wants us to give it to them.  Gracious people are rare in this dog eat dog world.   That is one way we truly can make a difference.   

So what about you?

Comments

  1. Man! You are so right, Bill!!! We went to Black Eyed Pea the other day and we got the WORST service I have ever gotten in a restaurant... I mean, it was bad. When my 84 year old grandma asked her which vegetables they had, the waitress replied with an irritated tone "we have like 20 of them, just read the menu and I will come back to you when you are ready." She made many mistakes (blaming us for them), was impatient with us, and was downright rude throughout our meal. Normally I would have said something... but I just kept thinking... we do not know why she is the way she is. We don't know what happened to her this morning before work...etc. I did not say anything, even when there was an automatic gratuity added to the check... I said nothing... and after leaving I felt so proud of myself. I may have felt better in the moment if I had said something to this lady, but later I would have regretted it. I am always trying to grow at being "slow to speak" and to extend grace... it is much more difficult to extend it than to receive it. You are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My other area I have major problems in being gracious is in my driving, expecially here. But I want to be gracious. I really do. Thanks, Marissa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...