Skip to main content

“Whether we ever understand why, the only way to overcome any unexpected shock is through.”

A thought by Christine Caine from her book, Unexpected: Leave Fear Behind, Move Forward in Faith, Embrace the Adventure (p. 28). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Christine says, “No matter how much we wish we could go around a situation, under it, over it, or be delivered from it, there are times God wants to walk us through a process because that is what’s best for us.”

It may not be what we think is best, but we need to trust Him because He knows what is best.

She goes on, “The challenge then becomes choosing not to allow the enemy to use these unplanned and upsetting events to rob us of life. The enemy wants to derail our lives from the plans and purposes of God—if not for a lifetime, then at least for a season. He wants to pull our focus away from God’s promises and divert it to our crisis. He wants to paralyze us in the present and to veil our vision and hope for our future.

“But I have found that moving through whatever you’re facing isn’t about merely surviving until it’s over, and then numbing your way through the rest of your life. Moving through is about continuing to live a life of purpose and passion—of always moving forward, never losing sight of your objective—no matter how devastating the unexpected is. Facing cancer renewed my resolve: While I know that I will live forever in eternity, I choose to live fully alive here on earth and make every second count for God and his kingdom purposes until the day I die.”

Earlier she said, “I believed God for a miracle. I wanted to be delivered from this situation. I believed that God could supernaturally heal me and simply make the cancer disappear from my body. He had done it for others, and I desperately wanted him to do it for me. But I soon discovered that God was not going to supernaturally deliver me from this. He was going to walk me through it.”

And that is where the trust comes in.  So, in the unexpected situation you are facing will your focus on your fear of the situation or on your faith in your Father to take you through the situation?  Will you put your full trust in God?

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...