Skip to main content

“God blessed me with a great professor in college who helped teach me wisdom about money.”

A thought by Craig Groeschel from his book, Altar Ego: Becoming Who God Says You Are (p. 94). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Read on and see what a great thought this is.

Craig says, “Dr. Altshuler didn’t teach college because he needed the income. He was a very successful, independently wealthy businessman who taught business classes out of his love for the subject and the students.

“I asked him for his most valuable piece of financial advice, and his response changed the direction of my life. Without hesitating, Dr. Altshuler said, ‘Almost everyone your age is going to spend the next ten years buying and accumulating liabilities. If you’re smart, you won’t do what everyone else does. Wise people don’t purchase liabilities; they purchase assets.’

“Since I was only nineteen and still green around the gills, I asked him to clarify. ‘What exactly is a liability? And what’s an asset?” My professor explained that liabilities are things that depreciate, or go down in value over time. If you buy a car for twenty-eight thousand, it loses at least two thousand in value the moment you drive it off the lot. It’s no longer new. Now it’s used and worth much less. Within five years, it’s worth less than half of what you paid for it.’”  He also used the example of clothes, computers, furniture, and trips. 

Craig then said, “My wise teacher continued by explaining that life could be totally different if we’d take a long-term approach to managing money. Instead of buying liabilities, we should invest in assets. What’s an asset? Something that holds its value, goes up in value or produces additional revenue. A good stock is an asset. Owning a profitable business is an asset. A house is usually an asset. (I know the housing market has been pounded in recent years, but over time, real estate is generally considered a great investment.)

“At the age of nineteen, owning assets seemed unattainable to me. So I asked my professor what type of asset I could ever afford. He explained that he owned rental property and that perhaps I could buy a small house to live in and have a roommate or two whose rent would cover my payment and perhaps even provide a little more. I left that conversation and found a house to buy. It wasn’t a nice house, by any means, but I was a college guy and used to rough living. Believe it or not, I paid $14,900 for my first house. With a small down payment, my monthly mortgage on a ten-year note came to a whopping $151.77 a month. I moved in and took in a couple of roommates and immediately was making money.

“Before long, I bought a second house. I told my buddies that anyone could live in my house for a hundred dollars per guy per month. My friends were so cheap that they’d cram six or seven guys into a two-bedroom house. And in no time at all, I was a nineteen-year-old slumlord making money off my assets. Over time, I made an enormous amount of money (for a young guy) off my professor’s wise advice. While my friends dropped cash on clothes, beer, and cars, I bought cheap houses that paid nice financial dividends. Today, we’re able to do way more financially because we bought things that built wealth instead of decreased in value. Later is often better than now.”

So how can this thought make a difference in your life today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind