Skip to main content

“All it does is make you miserable today.”

A thought by Ray Johnston (2014-05-13) from his book, The Hope Quotient:  Measure It. Raise It. You'll Never Be the Same. (p.133). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

I know, there are a lot of stuff that does that but worry is one of the worst ones.

Ray quotes Warren Wiersbe, the prolific Christian author and leader, who declared, “Most Christians are being crucified on a cross between two thieves: yesterday’s regrets and tomorrow’s worries.”

Ray goes on, “Worry is utterly worthless. It can’t change the past. It can’t control the future. All it does is make you miserable today. Worrying has been connected to high blood pressure, heart trouble, blindness, migraines, thyroid malfunctions, and a host of stomach disorders. Dr. Alexis Carrel, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in medicine said, ‘People who don’t know how to fight worry die young!’  It’s like the hypochondriac who put on his tombstone, ‘I told you I was sick.’”

He quotes Corrie ten Boom who reminded us, “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”

Ray then says, “Do you know that Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, had more to say about worry than about any other topic? He gave more attention to worry than to prayer, giving, fasting, or any other issue. That amazes me. God’s Son comes to earth, and in His first major sermon, the topic He chooses to hammer home is the hope killer of worry.”

Look at this verse, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5: 7).  That was a lifesaver verse for me at a very difficult time in my life.  It is still a life changing verse for me. 

Ray has another quote.  It is by George Müller who once said, “The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith. The beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.”

Ray then said, “Anxiety won’t just weaken your life; it will shorten it. Let it go.”

Do you need to need to give your worries/anxieties to Him right now?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Disappointment is the gap between what I expect and what I experience.”

A thought by Steven Furtick, (2014-02-11) from his book, Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others(Kindle Locations 2857-2858). The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

And we all have a bunch of those don’t we?And there is real danger in there.
One of the phrases that I have quoted to the point I’m sure of annoyance to my family is the phrase, “too high expectations bring about frustration.”And we all have experienced that haven’t we?
For some it is their mate, to others it could be their occupations, or maybe life itself.But there is real danger in there.
Steven continues, “Disappointed expectations, when full-grown, give birth to chronic discouragement. If you allow this discouragement to run rampant in your life, you’ll lose your hope.”Again this is the follow ground that the Enemy sows his lies.
Now here is the key and I quote Steven, “Giving in to discouragement pacifies your disappointment— at first. Then you realize the pacifier is poisonous, b…

“It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”

A thought by Larry Osborne (2015-04-01) from his book, Thriving in Babylon: Why Hope,Humility, and Wisdom Matter in a Godless Culture(Kindle Locations 544-545). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition.. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
I have just finished a book and now I am looking for a new one.  I have just bought three new books and have been getting through the beginning of all of them to see which one I will find challenging and enlightening to not only me but to you.
Now this thought stopped me.  I fight within me to be critical of the Christian world and its tendency toward fighting battles that I don’t perceive as God’s battles.  In other words I fight being judgmental of others.  But as Larry says, “It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”  He goes on to say, “We’re not supposed to take it upon ourselves to weed out the genuine from the counterfeit. That’s God’s job. Jesus made it clear that we are to leave the weeding to him.”
N…

“You cannot fix the blame and solve the problem at the same time.”

A thought by Ray Johnston (2014-05-13) from his book, The Hope Quotient:  Measure It. Raise It. You'll Never Be the Same. (p.152). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
It is so easy to play the blame game, isn’t?But it doesn’t solve the problem, does it?
Ray says, “Blame is deadly. I’ll never forget a young couple who came into my office years ago, seeking counsel for their troubled marriage. They looked sharp; they had two beautiful young children, a gorgeous home, and scowls that blistered the paint on my office walls.
“’What’s up?’ I asked. That’s all it took.
“’Well, he...’ She took off and shredded the guy for what seemed like thirty minutes. Then she made a strategic mistake— she took a breath. He took over. ‘Well, she ...’ Out came a machine gun of hurtful words that riddled her. Back and forth they went, with increasing volume until staff members stationed outside my office left to work at the loud coffee shop around the cor…