Skip to main content

“When no one else sees or knows what I'm doing, temptation is far more enticing.”

A thought by Larry Osborne, (2009-04-10) from his book, Spirituality for the Rest of Us: A Down-to-Earth Guide to Knowing God  (p. 205). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Have you found that so?  Larry says, “But if I know I'm being watched, I'll most often do the right thing, even if I don't want to. That's why we slow down when we see a cop in the rearview mirror. Why a sailor's language cleans up in the presence of Mom. Why the kids never steal a cookie when the whole family is in the kitchen.”

He goes on, “Unfortunately, our culture's love affair with privacy has elevated it to the status of a divine right. The result is that we now have large islands of secrecy and anonymity where we used to have transparency. It's supposedly no one's business what I watch or download in the privacy of my home. Child psychologists tell me my children's rooms are off limits. Lawyers tell me I can pay for my kids' college tuition, but I have no right to access their grades or medical records.”

But then he says, “The Bible knows no such right to privacy, especially when it's used as a cloak to hide things we'd never do if others were watching. In fact, the Bible promises the opposite, a coming day when everything will be brought to light, scrutinized, and judged.”

Larry says, “Few of us fall apart spiritually overnight. It usually begins with a series of small steps and compromises. But if my life is a closed book, so private that I reveal what I want to reveal only when I'm comfortable revealing it, these small steps and compromises will mostly remain unknown and unchallenged. One group, however, almost always notices the first signs of even the slightest step in the wrong direction. It's the people we live and spend the most time with. They might not be able to pinpoint what's wrong, but they intuitively know something is. Unfortunately, our social conventions don't give these folks permission to speak up early. It's not cool to butt in unless you've been invited in.”

God has given you a family to help you.  Be open with them.  They can protect you from yourself.


So what is it you are hiding?

Comments

  1. It's enticing because we can be free of the shame that we shouldn't suffer anyhow. It's fear of judgment that makes us hide. We shouldn't be afraid, since God is a righteous judge, and I don't think he cares about most of the things people judge each other for. Most of the time, we judge others who do things we wish we could do if only we were as free from our shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's enticing because we can be free of the shame that we shouldn't suffer anyhow. It's fear of judgment that makes us hide. We shouldn't be afraid, since God is a righteous judge, and I don't think he cares about most of the things people judge each other for. Most of the time, we judge others who do things we wish we could do if only we were as free from our shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...