Skip to main content

“98 or 99 percent of our thoughts are habitual.”

A thought by Mark Batterson, (2015-10-06) from his book, If: Trading Your If Only Regrets for God's What If Possibilities (Kindle Locations 1304-1305). Baker Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

In other words, we think the same thing over and over each day and that is why we do the same thing over and over each day. That is why we live in a rut. 

As Mark puts it, “If you want to anchor yourself to what if, that won’t cut it. Your mind must be renewed day by day. You can’t keep thinking the same things and expect a different outcome, a different outlook. One simple way of overcoming habitual thinking is taking on a learning mindset. Make it your goal to learn something new every day. It can come from a book or a TED talk. It can come from a conversation or a class. It can come from a walk down the street.

One of the purposes for me personally in writing this particular blog is that I must always be reading a new book.  I used to write a blog that was just my old sermons.  But I wasn’t learning anything new so I changed.  I also wanted to expose you to some new book and hopefully get you to click on the title of the book at the top of this blog and go to Amazon and buy it.

When I ride the Metro train here in LA which I do 5 days a week I usually ride the Red and the Gold trains.  Well today I have taken the Blue and the Purple trains and I am sitting right now in the Starbucks at LALive.   I forgot how much I like this spot.  Something different.  Life doesn’t need to be lived in a rut, there are new adventures out there everyday even for a 68-year-old-man.

Mark continues, “The French poet Jacques Réda used to walk the streets of Paris with the intention of seeing one new thing each day. It’s the way he renewed his love for his city. It also kept him from falling into the trap of habitual thinking, a death trap if you’re a poet.”

There is so much out there that God wants to expose you to that will make you feel alive.  It starts with a new thought.  It starts in you mind.


So what new book are you going to start reading?

Comments

  1. Bill, this is a refreshing and absolutely cool post. I like you that you ventured onto another colored train, just to do something different. I find learning new things everyday has been a life saver. Forget being 68 because 6+8 = 14. Have a ball. Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so. Life is fun and exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...