Skip to main content

“It's a matter of what I do with what I already have that matters most.”

A thought by Larry Osborne, (2009-04-10) from his book, Spirituality for the Rest of Us: A Down-to-Earth Guide to Knowing God (p. 77). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Larry shares, “Maturity and spiritual depth take time. But I can please God right away because it's not a matter of how much I know or how long I've been at it. It's a matter of what I do with what I already have that matters most.”

That is really encouraging if you are new in the faith.  And that is true all along the growth process.  I’m not judged by what someone else does.  “It is a matter of what I do with what I already have that matters.” 

Larry shares what he calls a Dimmer Switch Principle.  He says, “It's a simple principle. Here's how it works: When we respond to the light we have, God gives us more. When we don't, he takes away the light we already have.”  He then says, “Rightly understood, the Dimmer Switch Principle undercuts the common assumption that those of us who know the most about the Bible and theology are also the most spiritual.”

And that can be an intimidation factor when we look at those who know so much more than we do.  Now Larry does say, “This is not to say Bible knowledge and theology are unimportant. They are. But they don't equal pleasing God. In reality, when it comes to spiritual growth, the amount of light we have at any given time isn't nearly as important as what we're doing with that light—and whether God is in the process of turning it up or down.”

Yes, Biblical knowledge and theology are very important in our spiritual growth but what we are doing with what we know it what matters to God. 


So how are you doing with what you know?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...