Skip to main content

“The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is more precious than the one who stays away and says the right thing or says nothing.”

A thought by Leonard Sweet, (2012-03-13) from his book, What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person (Kindle Locations 2647-2648). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Actions do speak loader than words.  There are some people who just don’t know how to say the right thing.  I mean they really want to say that something that will encourage you in your tough time but they can’t but you know that they will be there whenever you need them.

There are others who walk in and say what needs to be said and then they are gone.  They know what to say but then walk out.

There was a story in the New Testament of a Jewish guy who was robbed, beaten and then left for dead along the side of the road.  A couple of very religious guys came by, maybe even said the right thing but then walked on the other side of the road and left him for dead.  But then a Samaritan who was a part of a race who the Jews had problems with came by and stopped, put some oil on his wounds then carried him to a place and gave money to them to take care of him.  He maybe didn’t know what to say but he did know what to do.  You see, caring is more than saying, it is doing.

Being authentic is more than just saying the right words.  I remember the day that my wife, Margaret was operated on for cancer.  We were living in Las Vegas at the time and Doug who lived in Phoenix, Arizona came all the way to Vegas to sit with me during that very difficult day.  He didn’t have to say anything.  His actions showed he cared and that made a major difference in living through that difficult time. 

Now what you say can really be insensitive, hurting and judgmental.  What we say sometimes can be so wrong but our actions after saying hurtful words can either reinforce the hurt or help to heal it.  Sometimes you just have to stop and ask them to forgive you even when what you said was the correct thing to say but not the right time.  If we really care we will see the pain and want to do something to heal it.   
 
So who has really been there for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”

A thought by Larry Osborne (2015-04-01) from his book, Thriving in Babylon: Why Hope,Humility, and Wisdom Matter in a Godless Culture(Kindle Locations 544-545). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition.. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
I have just finished a book and now I am looking for a new one.  I have just bought three new books and have been getting through the beginning of all of them to see which one I will find challenging and enlightening to not only me but to you.
Now this thought stopped me.  I fight within me to be critical of the Christian world and its tendency toward fighting battles that I don’t perceive as God’s battles.  In other words I fight being judgmental of others.  But as Larry says, “It’s not our job to determine if the faith of others is genuine or fake.”  He goes on to say, “We’re not supposed to take it upon ourselves to weed out the genuine from the counterfeit. That’s God’s job. Jesus made it clear that we are to leave the weeding to him.”
N…

“The little things you do every day have a greater impact on others than you might think.”

A thought by John C. Maxwell (2017-03-07) from his book, Encouragement Changes Everything: Bless and Be Blessed (Kindle Location 306-307). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)
This is a good reminder, isn’t it?
John says, “Roman philosopher Lucius Annaeus Seneca observed, ‘Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.’ If you want to lift people up, do it daily.”
John goes on, “ENCOURAGERS KNOW THE LITTLE DIFFERENCE THAT SEPARATES HURTING AND HELPING. The little things you do every day have a greater impact on others than you might think. You hold the power to make another person’s life better or worse by the things you do today. Those closest to you—your spouse, children, or parents—are most affected by what you say and do. Use that power wisely.”
He then says, “ENCOURAGERS INITIATE THE POSITIVE IN A NEGATIVE ENVIRONMENT. IT’S ONE THING TO BE POSITIVE IN A POSITIVE OR NEUTRAL ENVIRONMENT. It’s another to be an i…

“When life doesn’t make sense, it becomes all about trust.”

A thought by Erwin Raphael McManus, (2006-11-14) from his book,Soul Cravings: An Exploration of the Human Spirit(p. 215). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

When you have lived life for any amount of time there is always a chance that you will go through a time that life doesn’t make sense.Maybe that is where you are today.
I have been fortunate to have lived with a father that I could trust.I knew I could trust what my dad said, what he believed and what he taught.I knew he wasn’t perfect but I trusted him.And that was so important as a son living life.I wasn’t ready to take on all the responsibilities of life but I knew I could trust my dad.
Some of you haven’t had that privilege. You had a father that couldn’t be trusted so in life’s not making sense times you can have real trouble.  Having had someone you trust is so important in living through those times.
Now my dad wasn’t perfect in all things but he did lead me to someone who was perfect, someone I could totally trust in all times.  …