Skip to main content

“Christianity is meant for lovers, not experts.”

A thought by Leonard Sweet, (2012-03-13).from his book, What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person (Kindle Location 773). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I am in the process of reading the Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – the first four books of the New Testament.  I am reading them 13 times in 2013.  I do not want to get to know Jesus better but to experience Him more.  I want a deeper relationship with Him.  That’s why I am spending this year in reading and picturing His story through the eyes of these four writers and the nudging of the Holy Spirit. 

I just finished reading of His birth for the sixth time and it finally got through to me how much God really loves me.  He wanted me to really know how much He loved me and He showed that by living as I live and it starts by His being a baby.

We as a family are experiencing three gifts of love.  Harper is three month’s old, Addison is three years old and Ashlyn is six years old.  They are the loves of our lives.  I mean, Facebook is our pathway of pictures and videos of these three very special individuals.  We all got videos last night of Addison, then Ashlyn and today of Harper.  And that is what the Gospels are.  They are pictures for us of Jesus, starting when He was born.  I love experiencing the growing up of my three granddaughters and of my Jesus.

Why don’t you go back and read the Gospels in a new way.  Not to learn about God through Jesus but to experience how much He loves you.  I’m telling you, it will make all the difference in your relationship with Him and with each other.

How much do you know/love Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...