Skip to main content

“Your words reveal what lies deep inside you, whether you want them to or not.”

A thought by Nelson Searcy from his book, Tongue Pierced: How the Words You Speak Transform the Life You Live (p. 35). David C. Cook. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

They really do.

Nelson says, “There’s no getting around the Bible’s primary assertion that there is a direct correlation between the things you say and the state of your heart. If your heart is filled with bitterness or impurity, you are going to speak bitter and impure words. If your heart is full of love, you are going to speak encouraging, empowering words. Your words reveal what lies deep inside you, whether you want them to or not.”

He goes on, “When I was growing up, my family owned a small duplex property near our home. We rented it out on an annual basis. I have vivid memories of going with my mother to clean up and refurbish that duplex after each tenant moved out, in preparation for the next one to move in. The thing I remember most about the property was the apple tree in the front yard. As a kid, I loved jumping up and picking the apples. The only problem was that the tree didn’t produce very good apples. Every once in a while, I would get a few that were okay to eat, but for the most part, they were small, hard, and sour.

“I’m no apple tree arborist, but I know enough to know why those apples were no good—the tree wasn’t healthy. Whether the problem was in the soil or in the roots of the tree itself, I have no idea. But I do know that my little apple tree was only capable of producing fruit consistent with its core level of well-being. No matter how much I wished the tree would give me deliciously plump, juicy apples, it simply didn’t have what it needed to produce them. Even though I didn’t know it at the time, the principle of organic consistency was at work here. Whatever seed and soil a fruit springs from will determine the quality of that fruit.

Nelson then says, “The same principle applies to your words.  Thanks to the principle of organic consistency, you will never be successful using your words to positively impact your own life and the lives of others simply by trying to edit what comes out of your mouth. You have to get to the root of your word problems—the condition of your heart. Superficial techniques and quick fixes will only get you so far. To really change your life by changing your words, it’s essential to examine the source of your speech habits.

So how is your heart?  Would you really examine it because it is the source of your words?  Would you?

Yes, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“We believe it’s important to derive value from everything in our lives.”

A thought by Jon Tyson from his book, The Burden Is Light: Liberating Your Life from the Tyranny of Performance and Success (p. 118). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) But is that all that is important? Jon says, “We want to realize an immediate return from whatever we invest in. I am prone to this way of thinking in so many areas of my life. ‘I paid a lot for that meal, yet the portions were not that big.’ ‘I invested two hours in that movie, and it was just okay.’   ‘I went to church, but the sermon wasn’t that profound.’ We believe it’s important to derive value from everything in our lives. But beauty doesn’t fit within that framework. When Mary anointed Jesus with oil, there was an immediate outcry against her extravagant generosity. ‘It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.’ (Mark 14:5) One gospel depicts the disciples crying, ‘Why this waste?...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...