Skip to main content

“No words written on paper will ever sustain you like the promises of God.”

A thought by Max Lucado (2015-09-15) from his book, Glory Days: Living Your Promised Land Life Now (p. 167). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Have you found that true yet?  Have you?

Max says, “No words written on paper will ever sustain you like the promises of God. Do you know them? To the bereaved: ‘Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning’ (Ps. 30:5 NIV). To the besieged: ‘The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all’ (Ps. 34:19 NIV). To the sick: ‘The LORD sustains them on their sickbed and restores them from their bed of illness’ (Ps. 41:3 NIV). To the lonely: ‘When you pass through the waters, I will be with you’ (Isa. 43:2 NIV). To the dying: ‘In my Father’s house are many rooms . . . I go to prepare a place for you’ (John 14:2 ESV). To the sinner: ‘My grace is sufficient for you’ (2 Cor. 12:9 NIV).”

Max tells a story about being on a plane. He says, “The flight into Houston was delayed by storms. We landed at the exact time the final flight into San Antonio was scheduled to depart. As we taxied toward the gate, I was checking my watch, thinking about hotels, preparing to call and tell Denalyn of my delay, grumbling at the bad break. Then over the loud speaker a promise. ‘This is the pilot. I know many of you have connections. Relax. You’ll make them. We are holding your planes. We have a place for you.’ Well, I thought, he wouldn’t say that if he didn’t mean it. So I decided to trust his promise. I didn’t call Denalyn. I stopped thinking about hotels. I quit checking my watch. I relaxed. I waited my turn to get off the plane and set my sights on my gate. I marched through the concourse with confidence. Hadn’t the pilot given me a promise? Other people in the airport weren’t so fortunate. They, also victims of inclement weather, were in a panic. Travelers were scrambling, white faced and worried. Their expressions betrayed their fear. Too bad their pilot hadn’t spoken to them. Or perhaps he had and they hadn’t listened. Your Pilot has spoken to you. Will you listen? No, I mean really listen?  Let his promises settle over you like the warmth of a summer day.”


Will you do that, really do that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...