Skip to main content

“God’s presence in your life has nothing to do with your feelings.”

A thought by Rick Warren (2008-11-04) from his book, The Purpose of Christmas (Kindle Locations 185-186). Howard Books. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

I know that this time of the year can be a very lonely time. You may feel that no one cares not even God. It can be a very depressing time.  But I have good news for you.  You are not alone even though you feel like you are alone.  You see your feelings can be wrong.

Rick says, “Your emotions are susceptible to all kinds of influences, so they are often unreliable. Sometimes the worst advice you can get is ‘Do what you feel.’ Often what we feel is neither real nor right. Your emotional state can be the result of memories, hormones, medicines, food, lack of sleep, tension, or fears. Whenever I start to feel anxious about a situation, I remind myself that fear is often False Evidence Appearing Real.”

Rick goes on, “God came to earth at Christmas to remind you that he is always with you, no matter where you are. That’s a fact, whether you feel it or not. The Bible says, ‘I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!’ (Psalm 139: 7 NLT) But you must connect or ‘tune in’ to his presence on a moment-by-moment basis, and that is a skill that can be learned.”

He then says, “You may have been abandoned in life— by a spouse, by your parents, by your children, or by people you thought were friends. Everyone has faced the pain and heartache of rejection in some way. You may have experienced the sting of racial or ethnic prejudice, gender bigotry, or religious intolerance. If so, I am sorry. But God has not abandoned you! He never will! The Bible says, ‘God has said, “I will never leave you; I will never abandon you.”’ (Hebrews 13: 5 TEV)” 

There is a great promise in the Bible and it says, ‘When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.’ (Isaiah 43: 2 NLT)

Rick then says, “I don’t know what difficulty you feel you’re drowning in right now or where the heat is on in your life, but I do know that whatever it is, God knows about it, cares about it, understands it, and is going through it with you. You’re not alone.”

You are not alone.  You are not alone.  And you are loved.

You see Christmas is a time to celebrate that God is with you!


So will you celebrate that fact?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“We believe it’s important to derive value from everything in our lives.”

A thought by Jon Tyson from his book, The Burden Is Light: Liberating Your Life from the Tyranny of Performance and Success (p. 118). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) But is that all that is important? Jon says, “We want to realize an immediate return from whatever we invest in. I am prone to this way of thinking in so many areas of my life. ‘I paid a lot for that meal, yet the portions were not that big.’ ‘I invested two hours in that movie, and it was just okay.’   ‘I went to church, but the sermon wasn’t that profound.’ We believe it’s important to derive value from everything in our lives. But beauty doesn’t fit within that framework. When Mary anointed Jesus with oil, there was an immediate outcry against her extravagant generosity. ‘It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.’ (Mark 14:5) One gospel depicts the disciples crying, ‘Why this waste?...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...