Skip to main content

“God’s love is a protecting love, but it’s not always a preventing love.”

From a thought in 10 Choices: A Proven Plan to Change Your Life Forever by James MacDonald, (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

And that is a very important distinction.  My parents loved me very much and they did everything they could to protect me but they didn’t always prevent things from happening because they knew they would help me learn and help me grow. 

James says, “God doesn’t always keep hard things from happening. Here’s why. He has higher purposes for our pain.”  Yes, but if he really loved me but He does really love me and I can trust Him.

He goes on, “God may allow pain to humble us. When we are brought low by pain, we see how much we need Him. One of C. S. Lewis’s best-known comments describes pleasure as God’s whispers and pain as God’s megaphone!”

Another reason is, “God sometimes allows pain to restore us. Some of you were so far from God, off on your own, running away from God, going who knows where with your future. God allowed some hard thing in your life so that the pain of it brought you back to Him. If you would have never turned to Him without that heartache, isn’t it true that in some sense that pain was a very loving thing for God to allow? Wasn’t it that hurt that brought you to the wonderful place of asking for His help? A hundred years from today, as awful as that pain was, you’ll thank God for it if you choose to let its purpose be fulfilled in you.”

And then, “Sometimes God allows pain to refine us. This refining fire allows us to be more like Him. I’ve said to my wife, Kathy, many times, ‘I hate to think of the person that I would be, apart from God in my life.’ I shudder to imagine where I would be without God’s refining influence. Without God allowing difficult things into my life, what kind of husband and father would I be today? What kind of pastor or friend would I be? What kind of man would I be without the excruciating hurts that have driven me to my knees before the God who loves to refine me?  Looking back, it’s His love and mercy I see, even when His protection does not always prevent pain in my life.”

I have found that true over and over in my own life, my wife’s life, and my kids’ lives.  God’s love for me can be trusted.  I am so glad that I chose to follow Him.


So what do you choose?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...