Skip to main content

“Do not post out of emotion.”

A thought by Craig Groeschel (2015-10-27) from his book, #Struggles: Following Jesus in a Selfie-Centered World (p. 212). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.)

Craig gives some very good advice for those of us who spend a lot of time on Social Media and this is another good one.  Emotion and texting can be a problem, don’t you think?

Here is what Craig says, “When you think about it, the ability to say whatever you’re thinking to a large group of semi-interested people is pretty scary, which is a good reason never to post when you’re feeling angry, upset, rejected, or offended or are battling any other unsettling emotion. If you’re wondering whether you are responding out of emotion, remember this: when in doubt, wait it out.”

He continues,” As a rule, I never, ever post when I’m overly emotional. Never. I have the discipline not to defend myself or get into unnecessary online controversy. For years I’ve avoided responding to critics or posting out of emotion. Recently, though, I was milliseconds away from breaking my longstanding rule. Our local newspaper took an unfortunate shot at a local professional athlete who also happens to be a friend of mine. Within minutes, it seemed like the majority of our city was in an uproar, leaping to social media to vent their frustrations. Like many, I was angry and hurt on behalf of my friend, who has been a tremendous blessing to our city. So in a fit of righteous anger, I typed out a harsh tweet to defend him. Thankfully, by the grace of God, I hesitated just long enough to think, ‘Should I post this?’ At least 99.5 percent of me wanted to let it fly. But since I was not 100 percent sure, I submitted to my default rule: when in doubt, wait it out.”

He then says, “I am so thankful that I didn’t take a shot at our local media. They have been really fair in their reporting about our church and are often generous. Whatever I said wouldn’t have changed what they had already said about my friend. And within time, the writer apologized for his sloppy comment. The management of the publication also seemed genuinely sorry and embarrassed. The entire controversy blew over in a few days. Had I posted, I might have felt better in the moment, but it wouldn’t have helped anyone. I know I’ve made more than my share of mistakes, so I’m glad that instead of shooting at someone in that moment, I managed to stay out of the crossfire.”

He finishes this thought by saying, “Without a doubt, you will be tempted to post when you’re agitated or hurt. But when in doubt, wait it out. Post only out of love.”


That is good, so very good.  So are there things that you have said that you wished you could have taken back?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus comes in the midst of the torrent."

  A thought by Max Lucado from his book,  You Are Never Alone  (p. 60). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.  (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.)   We all have storms in our lives, don't we? Max says, "No one gets through life scot-free. At one point or another the sky will darken, the winds will rage, and we will find ourselves in a modern-day version of the Galilean gusher." John 6:16–18 (NIV) says, "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough." Max goes on, "The hearts of the followers began to sink as their boat was certain to do. Their skin was soaked, throats hoarse, eyes wide. They searched the sky for a break in the clouds. They gripped the boat for fear of the waves. They screamed their prayers for help. But they heard nothing. "If only Jesu

“When you understand that life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life.”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 57). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. To realize that from God’s perspective life is a test goes a long way in determining how you handle your life.   It is important to see that in testing your character is both developed and revealed.   Rick goes on to say that “even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen your character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God.” So there is a God purpose behind each situation in your life.   Even the bad ones are there to strengthen you and develop you.   You see those bad situations are really good ones because they are there for your good. I start each day with a reminder that God is good.   Not every situation that is going to come in my day is good but because God is good He will use e

“What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?”

A thought by Rick Warren, (2012-10-23) from his book, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? (Purpose Driven Life, The) (p. 35). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. Rick posed this question at the end of his chapter, You Are Not an Accident.   In this chapter he deals with the fact that God created you the way you are with a purpose.   In other words you are not an accident.   I am also reading the Apostle John’s view of Jesus and what He said and did while He was here on earth.   In the beginning of Chapter 9 there is a story about a blind man.   And the disciples who were with Him asked Him a good question, “Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind? ”   Have you ever asked the same thing about something in you that you don’t like?   Like that characteristic is a curse or something.   Society has set a standard that is not a standard of God.   Remember, He created you and you are not an accident. Jesus did answer the question about the blind