Skip to main content

“So many of us have abdicated our passions for obligations…”

A thought by Erwin Raphael McManus, (2003-09-04) from his book, Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul (Kindle Location 160). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

I have been dealing with this even in my writing this blog.  I had gotten to the place that I was writing it as a duty, a task.  Because of that it was becoming a burden instead of a passion, a privilege.  Just acknowledging that has bought a change, a renewed passion.

Now I understand how life can lose its passion.  It happens in many marriages.  What they once did out of excitement for the one they love turns in to obligations and that can be dangerous. 

I was talking the other day with someone about the importance of the husband and wife relationship in a family.  Oh I understand the responsibility of being a parent. Those kids didn’t choose to be a part of the family but your wife/husband did.  They chose to be your mate out of deep love, deep passion for you. That relationship is the most important one in the family and its passion must be renewed continually or everyone in the family will suffer.

Of course we still get up each morning and go to work but we must do it for the right reason.  I had somehow started to do my writing for the wrong reason but then I saw the need to get back to the right reason which was to bring Him glory, to encourage and enlighten His sheep and to lead people to a personal relationship with Him.  That is why I do what I do.  It is not an obligation but a passion.  I don’t have to do this. I do it because I have a passion to do it for Him and for you but it also must be renewed continually. 

Thanks God for giving me a renewed passion, for getting me back on track.  Also thank you so very much for Margaret.  

So what passion have you slowly turned into an obligation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Hurry and love are incompatible.”

A thought by John Mark Comer from his book, The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (p. 23). The Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) Wow, pretty strong thought isn’t it? John says, “All my worst moments as a father, a husband, and a pastor, even as a human being, are when I’m in a hurry—late for an appointment, behind on my unrealistic to-do list, trying to cram too much into my day. I ooze anger, tension, a critical nagging—the antitheses of love. If you don’t believe me, next time you’re trying to get your type B wife and three young, easily distracted children out of the house and you’re running late (a subject on which I have a wealth of experience), just pay attention to how you relate to them. Does it look and feel like love? Or is it far more in the vein of agitation, anger, a biting comment, a rough glare? Hurry and love are oil and water: they simply do not mix.” He goes on, “Hence, in the apostle P...

"Lie 2: The more you worry about it, the better your odds of avoiding it."

A thought by Louie Giglio in his book,   Winning the War on Worry    (p. 5). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. (Click on the book title to go to Amazon to buy the book.) Here is another lie that the Enemy uses with us. And Louie says, "This is a tricky lie. Yes, we often have cause for concern and preparation. But the Enemy wants you to believe that if you worry or fret over a certain outcome long enough, you can keep something bad from happening." But this is so important to realize. He says, "The reality is worrying has never once prevented something negative from happening. Planning might. Prayer has. But worry never will." He continues, "The Enemy tells you that by worrying about a situation (or every situation) you can make your tomorrow better. Really, worry just robs you of today. Jesus implored us: 'I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body mor...

“The gospel is good news, not good advice.”

A thought by Timothy Keller (2016-10-25) from his book, Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ (p. 21). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. (Click on the title to go to Amazon.com to buy the book.) I’m glad you stopped to catch a glimpse of what this thought really means. Tim says, “Advice is counsel about what you must do. News is a report about what has already been done. Advice urges you to make something happen. News urges you to recognize something that has already happened and to respond to it. Advice says it is all up to you to act. News says someone else has acted.” He then gives an illustration, “Let’s say there is an invading army coming toward a town. What that town needs is military advisers; it needs advice. Someone should explain that the earthworks and trenches should go over there, the marksmen go up there, and the tanks must go down there.”   That’s advice He goes on, “However, if a great king has intercepted and ...